Dear EmuDevs Community,
This guide assumes you have knowledge on creating a standard DBC-overwriting patch!
This tutorial is aimed to help people that want to create custom item icons for their server. (I'm also including the fix that I found that addresses the problem that I had in this thread.)
- Download this icon from Imgur to store your icon in.
- Find an icon that you would like to use for your item.
- Open up paint, Photoshop, GIMP, etc, and crop your icon within the borders of the previously downloaded border.
- Save the file as a PNG.
- Use BLP2PNG, or some online tool, to convert the PNG to a BLP file.
- Add the new file to an MPQ patch. (You can see the proper UI structure below. The BLP file you just converted goes in the Icons directory - ignore GLUES.)
- Using MyDbcEditor, or a similar tool, open up the ItemDisplayInfo.dbc file, and then follow the instructions below.
1) In column 1, provide a unique ID number!
2) In column 6, add the file's name. (This MUST be the same name as the BLP file that you added to the patch.)
3) To avoid the aforementioned sound bug, alter the value in column 13. (I copied values from other items that matched the type of item that I used. For example, I copied the SoundEntry for Arctic Fur to my new leather item.)
Note: You can find these sounds in SoundEntries.dbc, although their ID values don't line up.
MPQ Patch Structure: