User Tag List

Thread: Nostalrius releasing the source code

Super Moderator <span style='color: #FFFF00'><span class='glow_000000'>Kaev</span></span>'s Avatar

XP
    Level
    Thanks

Nostalrius releasing the source code

Heyho EmuDevs,

maybe you know it already, maybe you don't but, but Nostalrius just announced that they will release their source code.
    You can find their announcement here: http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44550
    What's your opinion? I think it's a really great thing for the whole emulator community and can't wait to see all the things they changed. :)
    Achievements:
    Shopper Member 1 year registered Level XL Level C
    Awards:
    Raffle Winner Member of Staff Support LOL Drunk Donator

Read the rules before posting.

Do you have an unsolved issue? Give us more informations about your problem.

Do you have problems with compiling or installing TrinityCore? Unknown96's Tutorial will help you.

Visit our other helpful sites:
    EmuDevs SQL Generator

XP
    Level
    Thanks
    Not very glad. Lots of people will just get the source code and open their own servers, eventually losing what's left of what made Nostalrius special.
    On the other hand, it's nice that they're doing this instead of selling/keeping it, it's quite helpful and nice of them.
    I don't really like that they're giving it first to Elysium either, they're basically saying "Hey Blizzard closed us, but come join this it's the same as us with a different name!". It was the players, the community itself what made Nostalrius better, not the code, imo.
    Achievements:
    Member Level II 31 days registered
    Stay classy.

Original Poster
    Super Moderator <span style='color: #FFFF00'><span class='glow_000000'>Kaev</span></span>'s Avatar

XP
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPixelMC View Post
    Not very glad. Lots of people will just get the source code and open their own servers, eventually losing what's left of what made Nostalrius special.
    On the other hand, it's nice that they're doing this instead of selling/keeping it, it's quite helpful and nice of them.
    I don't really like that they're giving it first to Elysium either, they're basically saying "Hey Blizzard closed us, but come join this it's the same as us with a different name!". It was the players, the community itself what made Nostalrius better, not the code, imo.
    The whole emulation scene just got this big because people shared instead of kept it closed source. Without other open source emulators Nostalrius wouldn't even exist. And with the Nostalrius source code we can make even better projects in the future. Maybe use that core for TBC+ or just a really awesome custom server. And Nostalrius will still be special because they got all the players. If everyone switches to Nostalrius source code, the scene will just be like now. Everyone is using the same base and only the servers who can deliver special things will survive.
    No attack on you, just wanted to tell you why i have my opinion, but i can understand your side too.
    Achievements:
    Awards:

Do you have problems with compiling or installing TrinityCore? Unknown96's Tutorial will help you.

EmuDevs SQL Generator

XP
    Level
    Thanks
    I get your point, but I don't think Custom Stuff goes with the meaning of Vanilla. Pretty sure WotLK is by far the best expansion for custom content.
    Not saying it'll fail miserably, it might turn out to be a good thing, just saying that Blizzard shutting down Nostalrius was a huge thing, and most people will have a hard time getting over it.
    Achievements:
    Member Level II 31 days registered
    Stay classy.

Original Poster

XP
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPixelMC View Post
    I get your point, but I don't think Custom Stuff goes with the meaning of Vanilla.
    Actually vanilla is better for some custom things, e.g. since 2.0.3 or smth items have to be in the DBC files, before you could just create items on the server and send them to the player. :3
    Achievements:
    Awards:

EmuDevs SQL Generator

Moderator <span style='color: #FF1493'><span class='glow_000000'>Vitrex</span></span>'s Avatar

XP
    Level
    Thanks
    thanks for info, Kaev !
    i should clone the source wanna try to make some custom stuff in vanila ! :D
    Achievements:
    Shopper Got a Sticky! 1 year registered Member Level XL Level C Referrer
    Awards:
    Raffle Winner Donator Member of Staff Pot Head
    I won't create anything for you, i can only guide you to right direction.
    Don't forget to read rules before posting.
    Forum Rules
    Need and assistance with your issue? use this section to ask for assistance !
    -----
    My Portfolio
    Wanna learn PHP ? check out my One-Page project

Founder <span style='color: #FF4500'>Tommy</span>'s Avatar
    XP
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,854 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaev View Post
    Actually vanilla is better for some custom things, e.g. since 2.0.3 or smth items have to be in the DBC files, before you could just create items on the server and send them to the player. :3
    I missed that soooooo much.

Thread Information